
I personally have tried to grow everything from strawberries to tomatoes out here in the dry desert heat and have failed everytime. I admittedly DO NOT have a green thumb for such things so I was really doomed from the start. (That and a dog who loves to eat strawberries and tomatoes.)
Thank goodness there are lots of farmers still left in the valley of the sun who make a pretty good living at making things grow. Infact, they are willing to share their crops every season with us would-be farmers and invite the public to pick out their own veggies and fruits.
This weekend check out Dobson Family Farms who operate out of the Sheep Springs Sheep Company on Alma School Rd. and Queen Creek Rd. next to Target. They are offering organic sweet corn for 4 ears for a $1.00. You can go out to the stalks and pick out your own or choose from already picked corn in the office. I know my kids would love to pick their own corn and then reap their rewards for the 4th of July.
If you miss out, there are still lots of farms around the valley that you can visit and pick your own produce. Some even provide entertainment like hay rides, petting zoos and train rides. Go to this link http://www.pickyourown.org/AZ.htm#listings to find the one closest to you. Most are seasonal and I would call before hand to make sure the farms are open for business.
Happy picking and have a wonderful 4th of July!

That sounds great. I love the first corn that comes out. It's the sweet and tender one. I wish you and your love ones a Happy 4th of July celebration! :-)
ReplyDelete