I watched a program the other day about a dog who had been hogtied, muzzled and then thrown in a garbage dumpster in Phoenix. The Humane Society was called in and rescued this dog before it had succumb to certain death. I just heard yesterday about a dog that had been left outside in 110+ degree weather with the owners leaving their back gate open hoping that it would just runaway. A rescue organization was called by the neighbors and the dog is now safely in their hands. I hear these stories EVERY DAY in the media and in the group forums that I volunteer with.What is wrong with these people!
It for these reasons and many others that I foster dogs in my home. The perception that we are a throwaway society is no more apparent than when we treat animals like trash. You don't have to be an animal lover to know that we as a society are responsible for the care and welfare of all domesticated animals even if you don't want or own a pet. With that being said, I understand that many people these days are losing their homes and can't afford or can't care for their animals anymore. Although it is a national tragedy, here in Arizona it is a far worse fate because animals are left in conditions that mean certain death within hours, not days, with our scorching summers. There are organizations that are more than willing to take these animals no questions asked. Why then do people make their pets suffer needlessly?
My involvement came after we lost our beautiful lab of 14 years named "Dave". He was a pound puppy that my husband adopted at the age of 3 1/2 months. He had been previously tied to a tree in the yard and left alone. When the previous owner's husband left on a fishing trip, the wife, who didn't like the dog and was mad at her husband, returned him to the animal shelter. When the husband returned from the trip he tried to get the dog back, but my husband was already in the process of adopting him. I'm glad the Humane Society denied the man's pleas and we ended up with the best dog in the world. So when we lost Dave, I really couldn't bring myself to get another dog, but since we were set up as two dog household anyway, (we also have an 8 year old Lab/Great Dane named "Chloe"), I thought it would be a good way to keep Dave's memory alive by fostering dogs that came out of difficult situations like how Dave started out and the ones mentioned above.
So even if you don't want a pet or even like animals, please remember that it doesn't take much to be kind. To give some water to a thirsty dog or to take a stray cat to an animal shelter so that it doesn't get run over. (I actually keep the number to animal control on my cell phone in case I see a stray animal on the road.) If you're considering adopting a pet or even fostering, the need is greater than ever. We can't save all of them, but to the one you save it means the world.
Here are some links:
http://www.hsus.org/ (Humane Society)
http://www.azhumane.org/index.shtml (Arizona Humane Society
http://www.aawl.org/ Arizona Animal Welfare League and SPCA)
http://www.azlabsandgiants.org/index.html (the organization I foster for)
http://www.petfinder.com/ (Petfinder.com)
http://www.pets911.com/index.php (Lost and Found Dogs and Cats as well as adoption)

That is nice of you to foster the dogs you have.I can tell that you love them alot and they can feel that too! Dogs are the men's best friend
ReplyDelete